- Our Location
- How to Audition
- Membership Information
- Subscribe to our Concert Announcements
- Send us an Email
We have an office in a wing of the Westminster Presbyterian Church. There are currently no signs guiding you to our office area, so please call ahead before you visit.
How to Audition
Candidates will audition for Maestro Kromm. The audition is usually 5-10 minutes. The candidate is encouraged to bring a selection of music to sing that demonstrates their voice at its best. Solo pieces from the art song and oratorio repertoire are encouraged, and a solo piece with piano accompaniment is best. If a solo selection is not possible, the candidate will be asked to sing a familiar song such as America, Silent Night or Amazing Grace. The ability to sing (with piano) on pitch is crucial. The singer may also be asked to sing alone.
If there is a question as to which section of the chorus the prospective
chorister should be placed, then some vocalization might occur to determine range and appropriate voice part. On occasion, some sight singing and /or tonal memory exercises may be required. (Sight singing is the ability to read a piece of music at first sight. This may be done on a neutral syllable (like “la”) or with solfeggio at the singer’s discretion. Tonal memory is the ability to listen to a short melody or phrase of music played on the piano, and then to be able to sing the same phrase alone without the piano.)
Acceptance to SJSC is based on a number of factors, including:
- the ability to sing on pitch,
- the ability to sing with a pleasant and resonant tone quality,
- the ability to sing within a reasonable range of the voice part
- demonstration of musicality and musicianship.
- a willingness to sing in multiple languages: English, Latin, and German are the most common; French, Italian, Spanish, and Russian are other possibilities.
- The Choir rehearses Monday evenings, 7:00-10:00, September through June, at Westminster Presbyterian Church. For the information about the Monterey choir schedule click here.
- Dues are $125 per semester paid in September and January.
- Choir members purchase their own sheet music and concert attire
Subscribe to our Concert Announcements
Would you like to receive updates about our concerts? Click here for a free email subscription.
Send us an email
1100 Shasta Avenue, San Jose 95126 408-995-3318
For a free subscription to our Concert and Ticket announcements click here